Raising A Reader’s National Office seeks talented professionals committed to realizing the organization’s vision.
Temporary Warehouse Assistant, RAISING A READER® National Office
Raising A Reader ® is a 501 (c)(3) supporting organization of Silicon Valley Community Foundation. The organization’s mission is to foster healthy brain development, parent-child bonding, and early literacy skills by engaging parents in a routine of daily “book cuddling” with their children aged birth-eight.
Raising A Reader (RAR) establishes, supports and trains licensed affiliate organizations to implement a parent involvement “read aloud” program anchored to research about human behavior and understanding of social sector change. The organization works with a number of publishers and vendors to produce training materials and book bag kits tailored to a variety of age, cultural and language demographics.
This temporary assignment is targeted to be completed by the end of October 2016.
Salary commensurate with experience.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The purpose of this position is to assist in the inbound and fulfillment of inventory in the warehouse of the National Office on a temporary part time basis. This individual will work under the supervision of the Manager of Warehouse and Operations.
This position provides help in the inbound of inventory and fulfillment of orders for Raising A Reader National. Tasks include but are not limited to receiving and organizing picking and packing of materials including applying stickers on books; and other projects as directed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follow warehouse procedures and insure high-quality customer service.
- Receive inventory and insure accurate count. Inspect for damages and report any variances.
- Help in the fulfillment of orders. Pick materials from the shelf based on a pick list and apply appropriate stickers on books.
- Assemble appropriate boxes and attach labels as necessary
- Report missing titles and ask for replacements. Update pick list for any replacements used.
- Create a packing list for each box. Compare packing list with actual materials.
- Ensure the completeness and accuracy of the order.
- Pack, tape and weigh boxes ready for shipment.
- Ensure the cleanliness and orderliness of the warehouse
- Associate degree in business preferred.
- 3-5 years’ successful experience in general business and warehouse related activities such as shipping and packing
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) and any type of inventory system
- Proven ability to organize tasks and workflow, use good judgment, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail and proven ability to perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy.
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Successful experience working as a member of a team.
- Eagerness to learn new tasks and responsibilities, willingness and ability to assist wherever needed.
- Able to think creatively and collaboratively to solve problems.
- Ability to represent the organization professionally to outside vendors and affiliates (customers).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to work in a diverse environment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The work environment characteristics and the physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while successfully performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
Submit a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and what you would bring to Raising A Reader. Send cover letter and resume as a single Word document via the following link:
Application deadline: open until filled.
Raising A Reader is an equal opportunity employer.
National Reach. Local Impact.
At over 2,700 locations around the country, a Raising A Reader site is making a difference in your community.