2019 National Institute
20 Years of Changing Children’s Lives Through Literacy
November 6-7, 2019
Redwood City, California
Raising A Reader is Proud to Announce
As Our Keynote Speaker for the 2019 National Institute | November 6
As the Managing Director of The Campaign for Grade-Level Reading since 2010, Ralph Smith is forging consensus around ensuring that children reach the critical developmental milestone of reading on grade level by the end of third grade.
He calls himself a “recovering law professor,” but Ralph acknowledges that his background as a corporate and securities lawyer helped him to appreciate the value of bringing together “unusual allies” and “unlikely champions” to mobilize communities to be change agents in improving outcomes for vulnerable children and families. In his work with the Annie E. Casey Foundation,
Ralph was instrumental in efforts to help low-income parents succeed economically while improving access to high-quality early childhood learning opportunities to give their children a strong start. He believes that children do well when their families do well and families do better when they live in supportive communities.
We are excited to welcome Ralph Smith to give the keynote address highlighting critical issues impacting early childhood literacy during our 20th Anniversary Celebratory Breakfast at the 2019 National Institute! Don’t miss this opportunity to be informed and energized by Affiliates and Thought Leaders from across the country.
Plenary Session Speakers
Tovi C. Scruggs-Hussein, Author/Educator “Cultivating Your Courage-Consciousness: A Social Emotional Learning Approach to Serving our Families”
Miriam Warren, VP, Diversity, Equity and Belonging, Yelp “How to Interrupt Biases and Become an Upstander”
You’ll want to hear these thought-provoking presentations as well as many other opportunities to learn, share and grow with Affiliates from across our network! Highlights of the 2019 Institute include:
- Celebratory Breakfast at The Pullman San Francisco Bay Hotel where we will celebrate and highlight Raising A Reader’s accomplishments and recognize our Supporters who have been instrumental in our movement.
- Annual “State of the Bag” Address by RAR CEO Michelle Torgerson.
- Affiliate Workshop Sessions involving critical discussions addressing issues facing the field of early childhood and developing skills to improve local programming and practices that support children and families.
- Come learn about our new Digital Partnership Pilot programs with Ready4K and Khan Academy Kids.
- RAR Expo where you will be able to learn about our new book collections, program offerings and resources.
- Two days of networking with other RAR leaders from across the country!
Dates and Locations:
- Coordinator Training November 5 | 9 AM – 4 PM Sobrato Center for Nonprofits 330 Twin Dolphin Drive, Suite 147 | Redwood City, CA 94065
- 20th Anniversary Celebratory Breakfast November 6 | 8 AM – 10:30 AM The Pullman San Francisco Bay Hotel 223 Twin Dolphin Drive | Redwood City, CA 94065
- RAR National Institute | Day One November 6 | 11 AM – 4:30 PM Sobrato Center for Nonprofits 330 Twin Dolphin Drive | Redwood City, CA 94065
- RAR National Institute | Day Two November 7 | 8 AM – 1:30 PM Sobrato Center for Nonprofits 330 Twin Dolphin Drive | Redwood City, CA 94065
View the Daily Schedule for Institute.
Coordinators! Coming to Institute? Sign up for the free One-Day Coordinator Training Bootcamp, November 5, 9am-4pm, also at the Sobrato Center. Register here!
FLASH SALE! 20% OFF!!
Registration Fee Sale: $80
We’re Kicking Off Institute in a BIG Way!
The Raising A Reader Celebration Breakfast
November 6, 2019 | 8:30 AM
The Pullman Hotel
Support Raising A Reader
Make a donation today to increase reading habits for children and families.
Give us your time
There are opportunities to volunteer at our east coast and west coast offices.
Partner with us
Join the group of agencies that deliver the program to their communities.